Out & About
Things to see & do around the Inverness area:-
- Golf Choose from the three golf courses in the town INVERNESS GOLF CLUB (www.invernessgolfclub.co.uk), TORVEAN GOLF CLUB & LOCH NESS GOLF CLUB (www.golflochness.com) all three are in close proximity to the Guest House. Outside of Inverness there is Nairn Golf Club (www.nairngolfclub.co.uk) & Nairn Dunbar Golf Club (approx 25 miles). Royal Dornoch (approx 40 miles) along with a number of other good courses all within a short drive from here.
- CULLODEN BATTLEFIELD Visit the site of the last battle on British soil (in 1746) which ended the Jacobite Rebellion, great visitor centre with inter-active exhibition. www.nts.org.uk
- CAWDOR CASTLE The most romantic castle in the highlands. 14th century home of the Thane’s of Cawdor. Open April to mid October. www.cawdorcastle.com
- INVERNESS BOTANIC GARDENS An award winning subtropical indoor oasis landscaped with a superb array of exotic plants and cacti, waterfall and Koi Carp. www.facebook.com/invernessbotanicgardens
- FORT GEORGE Built in the aftermath of the Jacobite uprisings, completed in 1769, remains the mightiest artillery fortification in Britain. Superb collection of arms, gives a unique insight into life at the fort. www.historic-scotland.gov.uk
- HIGHLAND WINERIES Situated in a 16th century castle, 7 miles west of Inverness. Visits include tours, tastings talk & video of winery & preserves area. www.moniackcastle.co.uk
- THE ORIGINAL LOCH NESS MONSTER VISITOR CENTRE Exhibition with superb documenatry available in eight languages about the Loch Ness Monster including eye witness accounts.
- URQUHART CASTLE One of the largest castles in Scotland with a long & colourful history. Visitor Centre includes exhibition & audio-visual display. www.historic-scotland.gov.uk
- JACOBITE-EXPERIENCE LOCH NESS Sail to the heart of the mystery, learn the fascinating story of Loch Ness, enjoy indoor & outdoor viewing in comfort on board the 5-star Jacobite fleet. Cruises & Tours available from 1 hour to a full day. www.jacobite.co.uk
- JACOBITE SIGHTSEEING HOP ON HOP OFF BUS.- Jacobite now operate this service in Inverness from Easter to October.
- DOLPHIN WATCHING CRUISE Cruise the waters of the Moray Firth, home to the most northerly resident group of Bottlenose Dolphins in Europe, you may also encounter Ospreys, Red Kites & Seals. Free courtesy bus from city centre to & from the cruise office. www.inverness-dolphin-cruise.co.uk
- DAY TRIPS TO ORKNEY Day trips to Orkney from Inverness Bus Station June to September 7.30am-9pm (approx times). Enjoy a 40 minute ferry ride & a fascinating full day tour. www.jogferry.co.uk
- WHISKY DISTILLERIES There are a number of good distilleries close to the guest house. Glenmorangie at Tain, Glen Ord at Muir of Ord & Tomatin all within a 15 mile radius of Inverness. Travel slightly further to join the Whisky Trail at Speyside
- THE ARCHIVE CENTRE Research your family tree in this purpose built facility
There are also beautiful walks along the River Ness & its small islands linked by a series if Victorian footbridges leading to the Bught Park & Caledonain Canal.
Inverness is a great base for touring. Take a day trip to Skye or drive the scenic route along the west coast visiting Gairloch, Poolewe & Inverewe Gardens. Explore the magnificent scenery of Glen Affric, ideal for a good walk. Inverness also has an excellent choice of Shops, Restaurants and Bars all within walking distance of the guest house.
- EDEN COURT THEATRE Includes theatre, cinema, cafe bar & art gallery (www.eden-court.co.uk)
- INVERNESS HOGMANAY PARTY 31st December 2018 we are offering 3 nights for the price of 2 over this period, bookings must be made direct with us not available on-line.
- HOOTANANNY Top music & culture venue, live Scottish music every night (www.hootananny.com)
- SCOTTISH SHOWTIME This award winning Scottish Evening is a truely delightful & memorable Highland Holiday Highlight with audience participation. (www.scottishshowtime.com)
- HIGHLAND MILITARY TATTOO at Fort George September 2018 a great setting on the Moray Firth, every bit as good as Edinburgh.
- INVERNESS HIGHLAND GAMES & GALA July 2018 held in the Bught Park
- BAXTER’S LOCH NESS MARATHON & FESTIVAL OF RUNNING 23rd September 2018 Queen’s Park Stadium, 5 minutes from Ballifeary Guest House. www.lochnessmarathon.com